Friday, February 5, 2010

Cycling

I meant to post this a week ago, as it happened last weekend, but better late than never. Trav and I recently purchased road bikes, something we've been dreaming about for years. We thought we'd take advantage of the warm climate in which we're living as well as to have an activity that we can enjoy together (since I don't surf and he schools me with running).

So, with that said, we have made a commitment to go on (at least) one ride a week together. Biking is great because you can ride so far and see so much.

Since we live so close to a beautiful bike trail we have done the "Back Bay Loop" a few times, but last Saturday was our first adventure ride. We did a 35 mile Santiago Canyon Loop. To any avid cyclist, 35 miles is nothing, however, Trav and I almost died. Not really died, but Trav did almost faint and I could not feel my bum for hours after the ride. The ride was beautiful, mostly on a hilly canyon road, past a lake, and through three cities (Irvine, Tustin, Orange). We didn't even feel like we were in Orange County! The highlight of the ride was a last second pit stop (literally .25 miles from our destination). We stopped at a stop light and I realized that I was going to lose my husband to the road if we didn't stop at the nearby gas station. I let him pick go in and he came back with a giant bag of pretzels and two king size snickers. Next time we'll be more prepared.


Here are the before shots. Unfortunately, we didn't have the energy to take a post ride shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment