Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Life






So, I must admit, I feel like I’ve hit my blogging wall. However, I’m going to push through this dry spell by adding some pictures and giving a quick recap of the last few weeks.

- Leah wins the stocking competition by crocheting the beautiful Travy stocking (though it was close)
- We celebrated Christmas in the south of Uganda (17 hours of bus travel to get there, yuck) at Lake Bunyonyi. We stayed on an island (hour canoe ride to get to the island) where we hiked, swam (no crocs or hippos), read, and played plenty of Yahtzee and Cribbage. After our time in the south we headed straight home and rolled in to Gulu at 1:30am in a Semi Truck (that’s another great story)
- Our last week of break we spent preparing and organizing KKNU for the new year
- We were thrilled to see our ladies on Monday. We gave them some pictures, sweets, and leftover yarn for Christmas so….some of them came looking very “smart” and “malang” (clean) with their newly crocheted items.
- There is a group from Rock Harbor Church (Orange County) doing some work in Gulu for a few days. They offered to take back hats for us, so naturally, we are taking them up on their offer. We have been working like crazy to get labels sewn on to hats and bags packed the past few days. We are sending nearly 2000 hats back with them. Woohoo.

The pictures are a bit scattered, but they are of grandma Candy (we shared a compound with her our first three months in U), Monica with her son, Joshua (it is “summer break” over here, so kids don’t go back to school until February), Teddy all styled out in her crochet attire, our luxury “geodome” hut at Lake Bunyoni, and our canoe ride to our Christmas island retreat.

3 comments:

  1. Leah and Trav,
    I have been reading but my first time to check in. You both remain in my prayers and I love that your young marriage gets to have this amazing adventure. Keep safe, be well and know you are loved!
    MomR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read about your adventures in Uganda Jim Dyde

    ReplyDelete