Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It Was a Celebration



On November 21st KKNU celebrated its first annual celebration as a non-profit Gulu. This event was one to be remembered. It was great to hang out with our ladies on a Friday night, the food was really good (chicken curry and chapatti), the slideshow brought many smiles and laughs, but the frosting on the cake had to have been the ladies outfits.

We decided as a group to make the theme of this event “African.” I know, this is a broad term and Leah and I weren’t entirely sure what to wear. Luckily, Judith, our project manager who is the most stylish woman in Gulu, took us to the market and helped us pick out some outfits of which I have become quite fond. Leah and I thought it would be best, since we are one in marriage, to get the same fabric making us look like two pees in a pod. I was pretty proud of how African we looked except for Leah’s head decoration, which I thought was just a little bit crazy.
Although Leah and I have been in Uganda for three months we still thought it necessary to be on time since the ladies requested the event to start at 5:30. Well, lets just say we had to wait for an hour and a half until the first lady showed up. We should have known better.

When the ladies started to arrive we were astonished at how beautiful they looked. It’s hard to put it into words but let us just say if we went back in time to Senior Prom these ladies would be the standouts, in other words, the ones who would turn the most heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment