I realized after skimming over our previous Blogs that I haven’t even mentioned what we are doing over here. I must admit, some days I ask myself that same question. I understand Africa and its ways more and more each day, but understanding is only the first step. Accepting Gulu’s way will come after understanding. For example, I understand that things take time in Africa, more time than one would expect. Yesterday, we waited for the tile man to arrive at our office/house and he never came. Then we went into town to pick up the beds that were being made by the carpenter. The man told us the bed would be finished two weeks ago and we have gone in every day since…always with the same reply “it will be done tomorrow.” They were not finished yesterday either. The lack of consistent power and water and sporadic rainfall makes work more difficult in Gulu, any of the three can stop production for many businesses. After checking on the beds we went to confirm with an Internet company that promised to connect our office to the main cable. The paperwork was never processed and furthermore the man looked at our paper once more and told us we actually would not be able to get Internet in our area.
I am learning to accept the slow pace of life in Gulu, but it is still difficult for me to put only three things on my checklist for the day and maybe get only one accomplished. I still feel a sense of defeat when a long day is over and we have nothing to show for it. Each day however, I feel I am closer to accepting the lifestyle of living here.
Despite the frustration that comes from slow moving tasks, the women who are part of our project are amazing. Everyday they show up at the office with smiles and warm greetings. The greeting process takes at least ten minutes each morning, a beautiful picture of the emphasis placed on people and friendship in the Acholi culture. The women crochet in a large, cool hut in the compound. Travis and I spend time in the hut talking with the ladies. Actually, what usually happens is we repeat words and phrases back to the ladies and they laugh at us because we’re not very good at it. The women call us Auntie Leah and Uncle Trevor (Travis is hard for them to say). It is such a warm atmosphere, full of laughter and joking. It is a beautiful thing to see these women growing together to love each as if they were family.
On the administrative side of things our job includes figuring out hat scheduling, yarn allocation, office organization, payment, working with our project manager (a local Ugandan), and writing policy.
Something I am so excited about is the loans and savings program in which the women are taking part. The program is essentially a microfinance program, except better because the women are pooling their funds together (from the money we are payng them) in order to give out loans. This will allow the women to start their own business practices or other ventures after their time with the Krochet Program is over, ultimately allowing them to sustain themselves. The women are very excited about the loan program and even without much (or any) schooling are very bright and gifted.
Anyway, this was longer than I meant it to be. It is difficult to even communicate what life is like here in Gulu, so much changes from day to day. I am most grateful for the love that the women bring to life here. Travis and I are learning more than we ever expected about what it means to be Ugandan and what it means to be American.
I miss you guys. It sounds like you are seeing and experiencing some crazy things. You´re in my prayers. Love you.
ReplyDeleteP.S. can you believe we are almost in the same time zone, an hour difference...wierd.
we miss you guys - lets talk soon...
ReplyDeletedevin and lariss